Midas' Blood is a colorless mutation which causes the player to gain gold upon losing health.
- Scroll Cap: None
- Special Effects:
- When the player gets damaged by any source they receive 1.6 gold for each hit point lost.
- Scaling: Does not scale.
- Changes the color of the blood dripping off the Beheaded at low health from red to gold.
- Links health and gold as resources, allowing lost health to effectively be saved as gold for later use, regardless of whether the damage was taken accidentally or was self-inflected.
- It is possible to generate more than 100,000 gold from damage alone in a single run, especially on low difficulties, where Health Fountains are abundant.
- Damage taken while Gold Plating is also active is not converted to gold; however, with insufficient gold to totally negate incoming damage, any remaining damage will be converted to gold.
- Bonus health from Tonic and the health loss from Vampirism are not converted to gold.
- It is possible to gain significantly more gold from healing damage with unneeded food than from recycling it.
- Midas Blood can be swapped in temporarily any time the player needs gold, since the earned gold can be used to pay to reset the mutations.
- This mutation takes its name from Midas, a legendary king in Greek mythology who is said to have the power to turn anything he touches into gold.
- 2.8: Introduced.
- 3.2: Removed from Boss Rush.
- 3.4: Reduced gold gain from 3 to 2 per HP.
- 3.4.2: Reduced gold gain from 2 to 1.6 per HP.